The Miraculous Journey to Thorp Academy
Our Northern Education Trust Summer School will commence on Monday 16th August 2021 for two weeks and involve a wide variety of sensational activities including sports, drama and games.
It will be a great opportunity for our new year 7s to make new friends, meet some staff and find their way around the building.
- Students who attend are asked to wear shorts, leggings or tracksuit bottoms with a t-shirt, hoodie and trainers. Children will not then be required to change for the afternoon activities.
- Ideally we would want students to attend for the full two weeks but will accommodate and be flexible where possible.
- Breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack will be provided for everyone, free of charge.
Aims and objectives
Aim: to deliver a 2 week summer school offering a blend of academic literacy education and enrichment activities.
- To refresh, improve and develop student literacy skills
- To increase student confidence, build a community with their peers, develop relationships and learn about their new environment.
- To have a positive impact on student mental health and wellbeing
Each student attending our Northern Education Trust Summer School will be provided with a free student pack containing:
- Drawstring bag
- NET reusable water bottle
- Pencil case (with equipment)
- Coloured lanyard (to denote assigned teams)
- Copy of the book ‘The Super Miraculous Journey of Freddie Yates’ by Durham-based author Jenny Pearson (all literacy activities are based on this book)
- Journal including Lesson Log of Learning, End of Day Reflection and Reward Point Card for effort and engagement